Monday, March 3, 2014

Slice of Life - Day 3

For clarification purposes, my slice today supplements my day 2 post.  I explained in that post that I would be teaching my students how to complete a Key Word Outline in order to create their notecards for their demonstration speeches. I neglected to explain what a Key Word Outline is.  Below is my understanding of a Key Word Outline. Some may know it as the Cornell Note-Taking system. Obviously there are variations, but I believe my description is a common one.

The Key Word Outline 
Measure six inches from one side of a sheet of paper and draw a vertical line down the sheet.  The paper is then divided into a six-inch section and a two-inch section.  Take notes or create your outline in the six-inch section.  Once you finish note-taking, you will use the two-inch section to write key words and phrases that will serve as memory tools as you study.  Either fold the paper along the vertical line or cover up the six-inch section in order to practice and memorize the content. 
This is a great tool for learn eras because not only does it provide an efficient method of studying, but also it helps students identify the most important words and phrases from content material. 

My students will be giving their demonstration speeches soon, and I'll be collecting their notecards to check their use of the Key Word Outline. It is rare for me to ask students to memorize material, so this is the first time I've asked students to use the system. I'll let you all know how it goes in a future slice. 




No comments:

Post a Comment