Sunday, March 2, 2014

Slice of Life - Day 2

Today I have been working on a demonstration speech that I will model for my speech class.  Below is my outline for the speech.  I will be using this outline to demonstrate how to create a Key Word Outline.  Students have already outlined their speeches, but tomorrow I will be explaining what a Key Word Outline is so that they can create one from their original outlines.  Then, they will use the Key Word Outline to create note cards they can use as memory tools while they deliver their speeches.

MsWagg Demonstration Speech Outline

Main idea: To convey the materials, terms, and steps necessary to paint a room.

Purpose: To convince the audience that painting a room yourself is a cost-efficient, easy way to change a room.

Visual Aides:
·         Paint brush
·         Roller
·         Roller pad
·         Tray
·         Tray cover
·         Paint
·         Tape (optional)
·         Tarp (optional)
·         Cardboard
·         Photo of edged room
·         Slide with descriptions of types of paint (primer, water v. oil, matte v. glossy)

Intro: 
Imagine leaving the last day of school in June only to return to the same building the following Monday. For three of my teenage summers, I spent my days at my school, painting walls, doors, floors, and anything that kids can scrawl upon, scratch, and scuff. Eight hours a day, five days a week, I painted. Sound dreary? Unbearable? Not really. True, I painted, and painted, and painted, so perhaps it was a bit monotonous. But I worked with pleasant and interesting young people who were eager to converse about any and every topic, so the days were not terrible. Even better, I learned how to paint so well that I can edge a room with no tape, and when I finish rolling, my paint job looks professional.
What I would like to share with you today is how to paint a room so that you can paint a room professionally without the expense of hiring a professional painter.

Body 1:
  • Prior to painting, there are several decisions you need to make.
    • Color – dark colors vs. light colors
    • Type – location of room and use of room
    • Sheen – personal preference
    • Decide whether the room needs primed.
      • Bare drywall always need a coat of primer to seal the drywall and help the paint adhere.
      • Painting a dark room a lighter color typically needs primed so that you completely cover the previous color.
Body 2:
  • Acquire the necessary materials.
  • Step 1: Edge room.
    • Tape the edges if you have an unsteady hand or are not practiced in painting.
    • Always edge first so that you can roll over the edges to ensure no obvious difference between rolling and edging.
  • Step 2: Roll room.
    • Slow and easy so as not to splatter
    • Repeat over area to completely cover missed spots.
      • Angle roller.
Conclusion:
Some may shy away from dipping their “brushes” and tackling the task of painting a room. It does take time and energy. It can be messy. But with knowledge and practice, painting a room yourself can save you hundreds of dollars. Just this month, I saved $300 by priming and painting my own bedroom after contractors remodeled it. Throughout your lifetime, you will live in countless rooms. You will inherit colors that the previous occupants loved but that you see as hideous. You will get tired last year's “Tiffany Blue” and want this year's “Robin's Egg Blue.” Remember this speech, and you will be able to paint your rooms with ease and confidence. 



2 comments:

  1. OK. So, what exactly is a "Key Word Outline"? This sounds like something I might be able to share with the 8th grade ELA teacher I work with for ESL push in support. Please share how your students did with this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like this format for a speech - it's really organized and easy to share!

    ReplyDelete