A short list of reasons why I like being a high school English teacher:
**In no particular order
1. Discussions (of literature) often bring to light ideas and concepts that I had never thought about before. I love it when a student says something that has never entered my interpretations of a literary text. Discussions (of current events) are always fun because students get so passionate about hot topics. I think about how I may be in the presence of future lawyers.
2. The gray area of analysis and interpretation.
3. There is so much to cover. I never get bored, and I can always change.
4. Learning about history is a large part of literature.
A short list of reasons why I hate begin a high school English teacher:
**In order from least favorite
2. Preparing for two standardized tests (reading and writing).
3. There is so much to cover. It can be very overwhelming.